Are you a Doctor Oz fan? If so, one of the weight loss products that you may have seen him talk about is capsicum extract. This extract is considered to be a safe, effective, and natural solution to weight loss.
But what is it? How can something from the inside of a hot pepper possibly help you lose weight? That’s why we’ve decided to take a closer look at this extract and the claims that are made about it.
How does Capsicum Extract Work?
Capsicum is the name of the tropical peppers that you find around the world, including the extract found in cayenne, jalapeno, and other types of peppers. This extract is better known as capsaicin, and it is what causes the heat that you feel and taste when you eat a hot pepper.
But that’s not all it does. Capsicum extract is also known for healing and weight loss properties as well, and has been used for a number of years as a supplement to diets. But what does it do?
You see, the chili pepper family is rich in “capsainoids” which have a peculiar ability: they boost metabolism, reduce calories and burn body fat. The extract has been used as a spice forever, but the thermogenic properties of peppers, particularly capsicum extract, can help to reduce appetite and burn off fat. Here’s how.
- When you eat a thermogenic food, like peppers, it causes the core temperature of your body to rise.
- When your core temperature rises, your metabolism rises.
- As you eat other foods, the thermogenic foods work to help your body digest the other foods more effectively and speed up bowel movements.
Think about it. You start sweating more when you eat something that is hot. Your adrenaline also increases, giving you more energy. More energy usually equals a higher metabolism, which helps you to lose weight.
What are the benefits of using Capsicum Extract?
There are a number of other benefits that come with using capsicum extract, and not all of them are related to weight loss. Check them out.
- Capsicum extract can stabilize blood sugar levels, which will help keep you energized and feeling great.
- Capsicum extract helps to keep your skin, your eyes, and your mucus membranes healthy and functioning.
- Due to the “heat” it gives off, capsicum extract can stimulate circulation and help with the body’s natural temperature regulation.
- Capsicum is not only helpful in reducing fat but also reducing LDL levels, promoting cardiovascular health and lowering blood pressure.
- Capsicum can help fight inflammation throughout the entire body.
Are there any side effects?
Unless you have an aversion to spicy foods (acid reflux, GERD), there are no known side effects to using capsicum extract. You may be able to take capsicum extract with these problems if you ingest it in pill form. This is the advantage of using a natural extract instead of something that is processed.
Does it work?
There have been a number of studies done on capsicum extract, and many of them have shown that there is some different in weight loss between those who take a capsicum extract and those who do not. This is likely due to the thermogenic properties of the food that we discussed above. Before you try any weight loss program, talk to your doctor and see what they have to say about it. They can help you determine the best option(s) for you in terms of weight loss.
The benefits of capsicum extract make it well worth a look at, unless you are concerned about stomach upset due to the “kick” that capsicum can give you. Overall, capsicum has some positive feedback about it, but like every weight loss supplement out there, it doesn’t work for everyone, and you don’t know unless you try it for yourself.