Would you like to have long, voluminous eyelashes? Who wouldn’t, right?
We’ve all fallen for mascara ads that promise ‘fake-lash effect’, but in reality, the results are disappointing.
What about lash extensions? They certainly look dramatic enough but many women have experienced uncomfortable itching and burning and eventually had to give them up.
It’s time to explore some natural ways that promote eyelash growth.
Read on to find out how to get beautiful eyelashes using very simple home-made remedies.
Natural Ways to Promote Eyelash Growth
Below is a list of the top 6 natural ways to promote eyelash growth.
1. Aloe Vera
As you might already know, Aloe Vera is a fantastic natural remedy that is widely used for various health and beauty issues.
Aloe Vera contains several nutrients that boost eyelash growth. In addition, it keeps the lashes moisturized and can also be used to promote eyebrow growth.
- To keep your lashes nourished, apply some Aloe Vera gel using an old mascara wand (read below for a super-efficient way to clean your mascara wand in order to be sure it is thoroughly cleaned) or a cotton swab. Do this before bed so that the gel can do its magic overnight. In the morning, rinse with lukewarm water.
- The second option is to combine a tablespoon of each Aloe Vera gel, chamomile infusion, and jojoba oil. Using a clean mascara wand, apply on your eyelashes twice a day (best in the morning and at night). Keep it for about 10-20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Alternatively, you can combine a tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel and a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, following the same instructions.
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil is known for stimulating follicles in addition to fighting micro-organisms that inhibit growth. Moreover, it is a great source of vitamins, proteins, and Omega-6 fatty acids, that encourage hair growth.
In the following home-made remedies, you can replace castor oil with any other carrier oil such as almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or argan oil. All carrier oils contain antioxidants and fatty acids that nourish the lashes, making them thicker and longer.
Note: For best results, use organic, cold-pressed castor oil.
- You can apply castor oil individually on your eyelashes or you can combine it with a few drops of vitamin E.
- Another option is to mix two tablespoons castor oil and two tablespoons Aloe Vera gel.
- For the third home-made recipe, combine two drops of castor oil and a drop of tea tree oil. Alternatively, you can replace the tea tree oil with neem oil, lavender oil, grapeseed oil, rosemary oil, or rosehip oil.
For all three recipes, the application instructions are the same – Apply on your eyelashes carefully, using a clean mascara wand or a Q-tip. Leave overnight and rinse off in the morning.
3. Natural Eyelash Serum With Emu Oil
Adding emu oil, vitamin E, and coconut oil to castor oil contributes extra nutrients and fatty acids to speed up lash growth.
- To make this serum, combine a teaspoon of castor oil with a teaspoon of emu oil, two vitamin E capsules, and half a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Combine all ingredients in an empty, cleaned mascara bottle. Place a drop of the serum on a Q-tip and apply onto the eyelash line. Leave it overnight and wash in the morning.
4. Natural Eyelash Serum With Essential Oils
This home-made remedy is made with three essential oils – lavender, rosemary, and cedarwood oil. These essential oils are known for their beautiful smell but also for their ability to boost hair and eyelash growth. In addition, they are very soothing and calming, which makes them perfect even for those with dry or sensitive skin!
- Take an empty mascara tube and fill ¾ of it with castor oil. Add 3 drops of each of the essential oils. Close the mascara tube and mix well.
- Apply this serum before going to bed. Leave it overnight and wash with lukewarm water when you wake up.
Note: Simply adding a drop of lavender essential oil to your mascara is also great for boosting lash growth.
5. Vaseline Trick For Longer Eyelashes
Vaseline, also known as petroleum jelly, is a great way to moisturize and condition lashes that are easily breakable and dry, making them grow faster and longer.
- For this trick, start by warming up some Vaseline between your fingertips. Transfer the Vaseline on a clean mascara wand, taking care to spread it evenly.
- Apply the Vaseline to your eyelashes, just like you apply mascara. Your lashes will be slightly clumped but this is perfectly normal.
- Let it work its magic overnight and wash in the morning. If water is not enough to remove the Vaseline off your lashes (because it’s an oil-based product), use a cleanser.
Note: Vaseline also makes the skin around the eyes smooth, so feel free to add some of the product onto that area as well. However, bear in mind that petroleum jelly may cause a reaction in people with sensitive skins so make sure to test it on your hand before using it on your eyes.
6. Green Tea
For those that don’t tolerate oils or oil-based products close to their eyes, green tea is the perfect alternative.
Green tea contains antioxidants called flavonoids which promote eyelash growth, making them thicker, longer, and stronger.
To make this super-simple home remedy, take a teaspoon of green tea leaves and add them to hot water. Let the leaves soak for about 10 minutes (wait for the water to cool down).
Dip a cotton ball in the tea and apply on the eyelashes. Leave it on overnight and wash in the morning.
Note: Store the surplus tea in an air-tight container in the fridge. Use it for up to four days.
Alternatively, you can use green tea bags. In addition to promoting lash growth, these bags will also soothe the eyes and reduce dark circles, making you look less tired.
Other Ways To Condition Eyelashes
Here are some additional daily care methods you can implement right away to promote bolder looking lashes.
Brush your lashes
Brushing is also a great way to make your lashes grow. It helps unclog the pores by removing any dirt and dust. In addition, brushing boosts blood flow, allowing more nutrients to enter the follicles.
How to do it: Brush your eyelashes using a soft eyelash brush. Make sure to brush gently, using upward motions. For even better results, add some Vaseline or a few drops of vitamin E.
Brush twice a day for about 5-6 minutes.
Massage Your Eyelids
Believe it or not, eyelid massage also promotes lash growth. It improves blood circulation, thus nourishing the follicles and stimulating growth.
How to do it: Place some shea butter, Vaseline, or a few drops of your favorite essential oil on your fingertips. Massage along the lids using gentle, circular movements.
Do this twice a day for about 5 minutes.
Proper nutrition is another great way to promote lash growth. Eating a diet based on good fats, vitamins, and proteins is especially beneficial. So, if you want to boost lash growth naturally, fill your fridge and pantry with the following ingredients:
Good fats: avocados, olive oil, nuts, and sunflower seeds;
Proteins: poultry, lean beef, fish, dairy products (especially yogurt), eggs, and beans;
Fruits: apples, berries, and citrus fruits;
Vegetables: green leafy vegetables, cruciferous vegetables, peas, tomatoes, etc.
Your eyes are an important part of daily life. Make sure to take precautions and take care of them despite your efforts to improve your lashes.
Make Sure Your Mascara Wand Is Absolutely Clean
Before applying any of the above-mentioned natural lash boosters, you need to make sure your mascara wand is well cleaned.
- Use a paper towel to remove the mascara from the wand. Use gentle backward and forward motions to ensure all mascara is cleaned;
- Dip your wand in warm water and leave it there for about 3 minutes. If there is more dried mascara on the wand, this is sure to loosen it;
- However, to be 100% sure there is no mascara left in between the bristles, let the wand soak in isopropyl alcohol for about 5-10 minutes. This way you will also disinfect the wand.
- Finally, pat the wand dry using a clean paper towel. Make sure the wand is completely dry before use.
Store the wand in a zip-lock bag to make sure it’s clean at all times.
Don’t Let The Remedies Get Into Your Eyes
Whichever of the remedies you decide to use, make sure it’s applied strictly onto your eyelashes. It mustn’t go into your eyes.
If carrier oil enters your eyes, rinse it with water. However, if essential oil or Vaseline goes into your eyes, water won’t help. Use castor oil or another carrier oil to remove it.
Make Sure Your Eyes Are Clean
Before applying any of the remedies, make sure to remove the makeup from your eyes.
In fact, you should remove your makeup every day before going to sleep in order to allow your lashes to rest. Make sure to do this very gently so that you don’t damage your eyelashes.
In order to be able to see the desired results, you need to use either of these remedies regularly. With some (like Vaseline), you may be able to see improvement only after three days. However, most of them need to be used for at least a couple of weeks, or even months, to get the desired results.
Moreover, each of the home-made remedies will produce different results for different individuals. To achieve the eyelash length and thickness you desire, it might be wise to try more than one remedy and see what works best for you.